Toaster Oven Accessories
Toaster ovens make great gifts for occasions like weddings or housewarming parties, but even the best toaster can seem to list a little bit over the utilitarian side of the fun/useful line. One way to supplement the sheer neatness of a toaster is to invest in a few toaster oven accessories.
Everyone love toasted sandwiches, right? Well enough people anyway. But toasting a sandwich in your toaster is asking for a mess. unless, that is, you’ve got the right toaster accessory. A sandwich cage will keep the whole thing from coming apart, as will a toaster safe toasting bag (these really keep your toaster clean). Both of these devices work best in wide or variable width slots.
Toaster cozies (or toaster covers if you want to sound a bit more butch) are a fun and attractive way to keep your
toaster clean. They’re especially handy if you toaster is the wrong color for you kitchen, or just plain homely. Toaster covers generally come in vinyl, plastic and quilted varieties.
Toaster Oven Features
When it comes time to compare toasters the toaster’s special features can give certain models the edge. Not every toaster can handle bagels, for example, and even a simple toaster cover can make a world of difference when spring-cleaning time rolls around. Here are some features to look for when deciding which toaster is the best choice for you.
Every toaster oven accessory listed below provides another option for toaster oven cooking. Cookies, toast and pizza are only the tip of the iceberg, though. A toaster oven chef can make casseroles, kabobs and buttery scones, and still not exhaust the possibilities; all that’s needed is the right tool for the job. Here are some suggestions for your toolbox.
- Toaster Oven Crumb Tray: a standard extra; reflective trays aid in cooking.
- Toaster Oven Liner: liners protect the interior and make cleaning easier.
- Toaster Oven Sandwich Cage: sandwiches can be held in these while toasting.
- Toaster Oven Baking Pan: a small, nonstick pan for the toaster oven.
- Toaster Oven Pizza Stone: helps bake the pizza evenly, with a crisp crust.
- Toaster Oven Cookie Sheet: a small, nonstick cookie sheet for the toaster oven.
- Hanging Toaster Mount: attaches the oven under cabinet to save space.
- Rotisserie Kit: forks,a turning spit and drip-tray that fit inside a toaster oven.
- Slice #: 2 slice toaster or 4 slice toaster.
- Slot Size: Standard size slot or extra wide slots.
- Defrost Function: To unfreeze frozen bread.
- Bagel Setting: To perfectly toast bagels.
- Reheat Option: Warms without browning.
- Browning Controls: For precise browning.
- Cancel Button: Stops toasting immediately.
- Self-Centering Bread Racks: For even toasting
- Extra High Rack Lift: For easy removal of small items (e.g. English Muffins).
- Toaster Cover: Keeps unit clean/protected when it’s not in use.
Oven Thermometer Features
Different oven thermometers offer different special features depending on the type of oven thermometer. Some of the following oven thermometer features apply to all thermometers
and others are specific.
- Oven Safe Thermometer: Will not be damaged by intense heat.
- Stainless Steel Meat Oven Thermometer Probe: Long lasting and easy to clean.
- Meat Outside Oven Thermometer Stainless Steel Probe Cord: Safe & durable.
- Temperature Alarm: Alerts user when a preset temperature is reached.
- Magnetic Mounting: Conveniently attaches directly onto metal surfaces.
- Easy to Read Digital Read-out: Accurately monitor temperature at a glance.
- Shatterproof Lens: Prevents damage and food contamination by broken glass.
- Wide Temperature Gage Range: At least 32 degrees F to 450 degrees F.
- Anti Bacterial Pocket Sleeve: Disinfects meat probes after use.
- Automatic Off Switch: Saves the battery by turning off when not in use.
Here are a few suggestions for find the best brand name oven thermometers. The list is far from comprehensive (the oven Taylor thermometer is only one of may fine products from that brand, for example, and KitchenAid is always a save bet) but it does make for a good start.
- Digital Maverick Oven Thermometer OT-03: Features 2 hour count-up/count-down.
- Digital Oven Probe Pyrex Thermometer Timer: Timer sounds when
pre-set food temperature is achieved.
- Oven Taylor Thermometer Wireless Model 1474 with Remote Pager: The
base unit may also be used a food timer.
- KitchenAid Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer Model KG123SS: With
a large, easy to read numerical dial.
- Polder Cooking Thermometer with Timer and Clock Model 601-90: Also
- OXO Good Grips 1051106 Oven Thermometer: Has both Celsius
and Fahrenheit dials.
- CDN Proactive Digital Programmable Probe Thermometer: Runs
of a single AAA battery.
Selecting an Oven Thermometer
When selecting any tool it is important to know the job it’s intended for, and oven thermometers are no exception. A grill surface thermometer does a very different job than a candy or deep fry thermometer, for example. There are 2 basic types of oven thermometer, each with a number of sub-types.
Oven Probe Thermometers:
Measure core temperature by inserting a metal oven probe into the food item.
- Electric Cord Oven Thermometer Probe: The probe goes in the food time and transmits the temperature to the thermometer display via a cord; these are usually digital oven thermometers.
- Oven Thermometer Wireless Electronic Probe: Oven remote thermometers work like a corded electronic probe thermometer, but the temperature is transmitted via a radio signal.
- Instant Read Oven Thermometer Probe: The thermometer display is attached to the end of the probe.
Surface Temperature Oven Thermometers:
Measures the surface temperature of the cooking surface or food item. Analogue Surface Oven Thermometer is a simple thermometers that read surface temperature. An Infrared Laser Oven Thermometer reads surface temperature digitally without the need for direct contact.